Friday, February 22, 2013

Blame Society


We all want to blame this epidemic on someone, something. This epidemic of eating disorders and depression, who's fault is it? And all fingers point to society. With the thin. but curvy females and just-right muscled men we constantly see on TV with those smiles always on their faces, even if they don't say it, they bring out the message, "You have to look like me to be happy."

So then we blame them. For a lot of things. Society killed the teenager, they say. And on the topic of eating disorders, there seems to be a popular gif on tumblr, that says, "Society, what have you done?" But please tell me, of the percentage of people that feels the need to be skinny, that sees those smiles plastered across faces, isn't it a relatively small but sadly growing percentage of people that have eating disorders?

Have you ever stepped out and tried to look at this from the Outside's point of view? I do, all the time, and I understand why there are such stigmas around eating disorders. Lately, whenever I throw away food I feel extremely guilty, because it's such a waste. They look at us and see us being obsessed with the numbers on the scale and the image in the mirror and look at all the dedication we have just to be skinny, they think, and even if they realize it's for control they look at us because we must look like some selfish, power hungry fools.

Can you imagine, if all this energy you put into this into this order, you put into something like Cancer research? Exactly.

But on a more personal stuff, I've been thinking about S a lot, and it bothers me. I don't like him, but I can't stop thinking about him, and like I said, I really want him to like me just to piss Z off. (By the way, she doesn't talk to me much about him anymore, mostly our friend F because I'm sure she thinks we're friends with benefits. It's good for her, let her think what she wants.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment